There are a number of factors to consider when choosing your contractor. Most people want rapport, professionalism and trust as well as top quality workmanship. Here are some key things to look for when choosing who would work best for you.
- Don’t automatically choose the cheapest. Look in detail at the quote in full. Be wary of anyone who offers a cheap quote but misses vital elements out which will come later as extras e.g. VAT, building control fees etc
- Always check examples of previous projects. The best way to understand the quality of the work is to see it. Don’t be afraid to request a visit to a completed job. Your contractor should be happy for you to talk with previous clients openly about their work and the process.
- Check for testimonials. They should be able to provide recent, legitimate reviews of their work and explain the details of the job to you.
- Meet with them beforehand to see if you genuinely get along. Any garage conversion will mean at least a few weeks of strangers in and out of your home. During the process there may be obstacles to overcome or decisions to make and you need to be sure that your personalites work well together and you are happy to have them in your home for weeks.
- Be flexible with dates if you can. Although you may be excited to get the work started it is always best to wait for the right firm, rather than rush and use the wrong people. You will probably have to wait weeks or even months for some contractors but getting the job done properly by the right team will ultimately be far more important than the timing.